Fortunately, my wife and I have found the secret to a happy marriage, making a marriage work and we do (for the most part at least) have a happy marriage.
Some marriages work, while others don’t, which is great if yours does work, but life can be hell if you are in a marriage that just isn’t working.
It’s not been easy of course. It’s taken a number of years to figure out and while this is her second marriage, which it’s actually my third! I guess there’s nothing like practice to make perfect as they say, although good old King Henry VIII was married six times and five of those times it all went wrong.
One thing that we did agree on from the start is to share the chores, so if she is in the kitchen cooking, I end up back in the kitchen washing up and if I cook she washes up. It’s just a bit of a chore having to deal with a sink full of dirty pans after a big meal, but if it helps to keep the peace and to keep things running smoothly, it’s worth it, don’t you think?
But finally, lessons learned, we have found a formula that works, and would like to share some tips on how to make a marriage happy.
- Two times a week, we go to a nice restaurant, have a little wine, some good food and companionship. She goes Tuesdays, I go Fridays.
- We also sleep in separate beds. Hers is in Florida and mine is in New York.
- I take my wife everywhere, but she keeps finding her way back.
- I asked my wife where she wanted to go for our wedding anniversary. “Somewhere I haven’t been in a long time!” she said. So I suggested the kitchen. Yes, that’s when the fighting started.
- When we go out we always hold hands. If I let go, she shops.
- She has an electric blender, electric toaster, and electric bread maker. Then she said, “There are too many gadgets and no place to sit down!” So I bought her an electric chair.
- My wife told me the car wasn’t running well because there was water in the carburetor. I asked where the car was, she told me, “In the lake.”
- My wife is on a new diet. Coconuts and bananas. She hasn’t lost weight, but BOY, can she climb a tree now!
- My wife got a mudpack and looked great for two days. Then the mud fell off.
- My wife ran after the garbage truck, yelling, “Am I too late for the garbage?” The driver said, “No, jump in!”
Image used under a Collective Commons License from: https://pixnio.com/media/gateway-groom-bride-gate-hugging