When it comes to etiquette, Martha Stewart knows just about everything there is to know, and then some. So, for your entertainment, we present The Martha Stewart Etiquette Guide For Rednecks.
But how do you advise rednecks, and I mean REAL rednecks, on the art of etiquette and how to live your life so that should guests ever arrive at your home unexpectedly, you will always be in a position to invite them in without having to tell them to come back in a couple of days, allowing you to clean up the mess.
You must admit this is a really tall order, but I think this guide to etiquette for rednecks from Martha Stewart just about covers everything. But to get going, let’s start with the basics.
- Never take a beer to a job interview.
- Always identify people in your yard before shooting at them.
- It’s considered tacky to take a cooler to church.
- If you have to vacuum the bed it’s time to change sheets.
- Even if you’re CERTAIN that you are included in the will … it is still considered tacky to drive a U-Haul to the funeral.
- When decanting wine, make sure that you tilt the paper cup and pour slowly so as not to “bruise” the fruit of the vine.
- If drinking directly from the bottle, always hold it with your fingers covering the label.
ENTERTAINING IN YOUR HOME
- A centerpiece for the table should NEVER be prepared by a taxidermist.
- Do NOT allow the dog to eat at the table … no matter how good his manners are.
- While ears need to be cleaned regularly, this is a job that should done in private using one’s OWN truck keys.
- Proper use of toiletries can forestall bathing for several days. However if you live alone, deodorant is a waste of money.
- Dirt and grease under the fingernails is a social no-no, as it tends to detract from a woman’s jewelry and alter the taste of finger foods.
DATING (OUTSIDE THE FAMILY)
- Always offer to bait your date’s hook, especially on the first date.
- Be aggressive. Let her know you’re interested: “I’ve been wantin’ to go out with you since I read that stuff on the bathroom wall two years ago.
- Establish with her parents what time she is expected back. Some will say 10:00 PM; others might say “Monday”. If the latter is the answer it is the man’s responsibility to get her to school on time.
- Crying babies should be taken to the lobby and picked up as soon as the movie has ended.
- Refrain from talking to characters on the screen. Tests have proven they cannot hear you.
- Livestock, usually, is a poor choice for a wedding gift.
- Kissing the bride for more than 5 seconds may get you shot.
- For the groom, at least, rent a tux. A leisure suit with a cummerbund and a clean bowling shirt can create a tacky appearance.
- Though uncomfortable, say “yes” to socks and shoes for this special occasion.
- Dim your headlights for approaching vehicles; even if the gun is loaded, and the deer is in sight.
- When approaching a four-way stop, the vehicle with the largest tires ALWAYS has the right of way.
- Never tow another car using panty hose and duct tape.
- When sending your wife down the road with a gas can, it is impolite to ask her to bring back beer too.
- Do NOT lay rubber while traveling in a funeral procession.
Image used under a Collective Commons License from: https://www.flickr.com/photos/shankbone/3943489862